The earliest record of a golf club in Wellington was the Wellington College Golf Club. By 1905 the basics of the Wellington Golf Club were loosely established with members (including local townspeople) starting to play medals on a monthly basis.
The search was then started for a new course that would distinguish the Golf Club from the College Golf Club. By 1907 the Wellington Golf Club had found new links to play at Steeraway. Construction of the course we use today was completed in Summer 1910. The new golf course was to have a ‘meeting worth attending’ on the 14th and 15th October 1910 when the services of Harry Vardon and George Duncan were secured to play an exhibition match on the first day and the second day was to be the meeting for the ‘Shropshire Challenge Bowl’ open to members of recognised Shropshire Golf Clubs only. The Shropshire Challenge Bowl is still played for today at Wrekin Golf Club. A description of the course at this time read “As to the course at Wellington (18 holes) the turf is eminently suited to the game.
A longer, although still incomplete history can be obtained from the club
A set of pictures can also be downloaded. They were used to decorate the clubhouse for the match and dinner (Summer 2010) to commemorate the “new” course being opened in 1910.